So... I'm totally insane for having delivered a baby mere 8 hours ago (literally, as I type- 8 hours ago) and I'm raring to go. I can't quit blogging! HAHA!
We got to the hospital around 6:45am and it was just so strange to be so.... normal... and just like "Hey, let's get this labor started." I was a nervous wreck, I could barely talk to Ryan or the nurses even though they all were trying to chat it up with me. I was dreading the whole entire day.
Here's a quick rundown of labor:
- Started me on pitocin at 7am. I was 4cm dilated
- Contractions started about an hour later, and they weren't bad at all.
- 9am I was 4cm dilated and 50% effaced at this point
- Doctor checked me at 10am and I was 5-6cm and 80% effaced and he said if my water were to break I'd go quickly, so he ordered my epidural and upped my pitocin to 12 (it started at 2, then 4, then 6 and so on ...)
- The contractions were terrible at this point and I thought I was going to die. I was trying to figure out how to turn the pitocin machine down HAHA!
- My epidural arrived around 11am, and I survived the 30 minutes of hell waiting, and then after a few milder contractions I was numb and feeling great.
- By now my mom, Ryan and Leslie were there and we were just chatting about furniture and moving and all that fun stuff. Leslie (who wasn't able to have an epidural with Reyna) was dumbfounded... she said "We're just sitting here talking about TABLES and you're in LABOR!"
- Around 12:15/12:30 the doctor came in and broke my water. I was 10cm and ready to go, so he had my epidural turned down so that I'd feel the contractions and the urge to push. I didn't like this.
- I only felt bad contractions on one side from this point on. Kind of weird. One side felt a bit numb still, the other felt like my sciatic nerve was shooting down my leg. I had about 30 minutes of kill-me-now contractions and then they got me ready to push.
- Doctor checks, says "get the nursery staff in here, the baby is right there." I was almost in tears thinking about pushing. I dreaded the thought of the pain I had with Porter.
- I so did not believe him when he said I'd push once and we'd be saying Happy Birthday. Sure enough, I pushed twice and there he was! I was in disbelief and even said (gasp) "Hey, I could do that again! That was nothing!"
I tore... bad. Up to my urethra (sorry, TMI for some of you I'm sure). OUCH. Leave it to me to tear the wrong freaking way! Anyhow, so far I'm not dying, but its painful to sit.
I was dumbfounded at how great I felt after delivery. It sure makes a difference not having to push for 2 hours! I felt like I could get up and go home!
Ryan and I both kept thinking it was so weird that he was OURS... it seemed like he was someone else's kid we were holding. However, after spending the day with him its feeling more normal. He's so cute (although of course we're biased) and he reminds us a lot of Porter but with a bit smaller nose and chubbier cheeks. He's not wanting to eat much, and I think all day he's had about a total of once ounce, but hopefully he'll be a little more raring to go tomorrow.
As I type now, he's laying next to me sleeping, being a good boy and letting his mommy blog!
Oh... I should post the stats:
Hudson ______ Barczak
20.5 inches long
Born at 1:18pm